If you take a look at PHP source code, you'll find some description for making
new modules. I think you need to read source to understand how to code a new
module. Not much descriptions, but PHP manual has section for it, too.

I use emacs to browse C/C++ sources, but you can use lxr.php.net or cvs.php.net
to browse PHP source.

Regards,
--
Yasuo Ohgaki