Some potentially useful links :

  Zend API Documentation                                      :
  http://www.zend.com/zend/api.php

  Extending PHP                                               :
  http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/01/junk/

  Writing a simple PHP extension                              :
  http://www.uk.research.att.com/~qsf/phpmodule/

  A related post on extending PHP                             :
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=98033228530307

  Another response                                            :
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=97865440227175

Also have a look around the archives for a few discussions on the matter,
there have been a few.

Regards,
philip