Richard Lynch wrote:

That's definitely not good.

But there is only so much you, and PHP, can do to stop a bad programmer
from chewing up resources.

I'm pretty sure that you can prevent this somehow!
There is no way any OS with respect for themself, will
allow any user installed programs (like PHP) to crash the
server!

You should try check out the freebsd mailling lists. I'm pretty sure
they can help you out! :) Please also make sure you run the latest versions
of apache and php.

Good luck finding the error!
Simon

Btw I run FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE, Apache 2.0.52_4 and PHP 5.0.3_2
when i try to run an endless loop, using a lot of memory, I get an
Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 256 bytes)
And absolutely no effect on the system!