David Norman wrote:

I thought some other people would be interested in the other hashes
that you can do with mhash that aren't on the php.net docs after the
recent news that SHA-1 might be weaker than previously thought:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html

The built in constants that the mhash docs have listed are simply
integers that tell mhash what to use. So I found the integers in
mhash's mhash.h:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mhash/mhash/lib/mhash.h?rev=1.25&view=auto

The following works for alternate hashes in the Win32 PHP 5.0.3 release of libmhash.h. For anyone wanting a step up from SHA-1, SHA256 works.

David:

You should really post this at the mhash manual entry in php.net. I'm sure others would find it useful. Good find :)

Cheers,
Burhan

[ snippity snip snip ]