From: Richard Lynch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:14 PM
To: Ross Hulford
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: Re: [PHP] incrementing a number from a text file

>> I want to read a number from an external (txt) file and increment it.then
>> save the number back on the text file.
>> I know this is possible but want a simple amd economical way to do this.

> That's what you *THINK* you want to do :-)

> But what happens when *TWO* users hit that same script at exactly the same
> time.

<snip>

> This is why so many early "hit counter" scripts back in the day were
> always getting messed up and reset to 0.

Donīt increase if counter is not read?

> What you really want, almost for sure, is an SQL database with "sequences"

I try NOT to use databases if not nessecary

> You *can* use http://php.net/flock, but even that is a Bad Idea, because
> flock under Un*x is self-imposed -- If some *other* program/script/user
> decides not change that file and doesn't use flock, well, they're not
> STOPPED from doing that.

Poor programming?

> flock is therefore all too subject to human fallibility when you re-work,
> re-write, or add more code to your system.

Every code is... if You donīt use Your head, the outcome will be...?

If U no nothing about SQL, I use a database to a counter, I get a piece of
code from a friend "alter table counter auto_increment = 1"; and Iīm curious
to see, what it does?

Or better: I put my query in a link like <a
href="db.php?q=select+*+from+customers">show customers</a> and Iīve got NO
clue about the settings in the mysql db, so this gets "funny"

*whistle*

This _was_ an issue in a company I worked for, along with queries like:

Select blablabla FROM t1,t2,t3
WHERE customers LIKE '%$s%'
OR name LIKE '%$s%'
OR domain LIKE '%$s%'