I've put together a howto for setting up apache with mod_dav with dynamic
content so that you can use a webdav client to update the site while still
keeping the php source hidden from non authenticated users.

My solution uses a virtual host (With using ForceType directive in an
Alias, it works- but I was unable to limit get through the alias without
also having the limit effect normal path for calling the app).

I'm interested in knowing what people think about it- if its helpful,
confusing, same goal could be more easily accomplished in a different way,
yada yada bing boom.

It can be viewed at http://devel.omnilinux.com/~mpeters/README.moddav.html