Thanks for the advice, Matt, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem.

php.ini is in the C:Program Files/WINDOWS directory and error_reporting was set to E_ALL.

I found php5ts.dll in the WINDOWS/system32 directory. I copied it to WINDOWS/system, just in case. My install instructions said to put it with my other dlls, which might be in either directory. Most of them are in system32.

Using this at the top of your script will allow PHP and MySQL to interact.
$_POST['dbconn']=mysql_select_db("database_name", mysql_connect("server_name","user_name","password"));

I put this in my script (changing parameters as appropriate) but got no results and no error messages. Any other ideas. I've spent hours on this, trying everything I could think of and I'm very frustrated.

The rest of my output is still suppressed if I put the connect script above it in the file.

It does sound like you have notices and warnings turned off in php.ini:
Find php.ini (not sure where it installs to in Windows version), and set error_reporting = E_ALL. This will show all notices and warnings generated by your PHP code; extremely usefull in debugging.

Matt Darby

Linda H wrote:

I'm running MySQL 4.0.21, Apache 2.0.52 and PHP 5.0.2 on a Windows XP system. I can run scripts with PHP and HTML statements and see correct output in my browser. But when I try to connect to MySQL I get nothing, including no error messages.

One book I have says to run the following scrip to test the connection. It should print either the Resource name or an error message:

<?php
echo mysql_connect ('localhost','calendar','pass1234'); # host, user, password
?>

I get no output at all, and if the statement is placed in a larger script, above html/PHP output, it suppresses that as well.

Using the mysql monitor from the DOS command prompt, I can connect as user 'calendar' with password 'pass1234', select a database and execute SQL statements successfully.