Kevin Waterson wrote:
This one time, at band camp, Philip Hallstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My guess would be because file_get_contents returns the contents as a string. So if 'myfile' is 100mb, you're going to have to allocate 100mb of memory to store that string while echo() spits it back out.

But I'm just guessing as I don't know for sure...

I think you got it, we really dont have enough information on what he
has in myfile.txt

readfile() is the correct function for this purpose. fpassthru() is designed for if you need to seek to a particular point in the file and then output the remainder (or do other voodoo with the file pointer before outputting the contents), and file_get_contents() is for when you need the file contents in a string.

However, the first comment on readfile() states that readfile() is 55% slower than doing a simple loop until EOF and using fread(). I haven't tested that claim, so YMMV.

Jasper