This is partially true because Java is owned and managed by SUN, and SUN
is all about developing API's, both to ensure that it's own later work
will work, and because it meant a better way for people to interface.
And while you use JDBC as an example of something that won out, it isn't
the only way to interface with Databases through Java, nor was it always
accepted as the best way. In fact there is still a lot of discussion
about other methods, and follow ons to JDBC. Also, JDBC doesn't
eliminate the database specific variations entirely. You still have to
deal with slight variances between specific databases, or incomplete
JDBC implementations or JDBC implementations that provide additional
functionality that isn't part of the spec.

By the same token Pear_DB, and the follow ons were much like the early
versino of JDBC. As is PDO in a lot of ways. The majority of the
database specifics have been abstracted out and a general interface has
emerged. Unlike in Java though, the PDO and Pear_(M)DB(2) families
haven't settled yet(nor did JDBC overnight) but they are being developed
by the community. And many people DO recognize the advantage of
standards and basic API's and are working to develop exactly those kinds
of things in their frameworks. Solar, as a simple example I have some
experience with, is spending a lot of time thinking about how components
fit togethor, how to allow for a common API while not requiring that you
use Solar's classes or pieces to do things. Of course the web
development world is a lot bigger than it was in the early days of
JSP/J2EE. And PhP has a huge part of that so the community is larger and
therefore the competing ideas is larger.

But you could argue, how is PDO not a standard interface like JDBC? How
was it not designed by the community and put out there for people to
implement their own methods for it?

> In the PHP world there is no such organization nor the vision
> of the benefits of cooperating to define such standards. I
> already gave an example of the benefits of having such
> standard API specifications in the other comment to Rob.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Manuel Lemos
>
> Metastorage - Data object relational mapping layer generator
> http://www.metastorage.net/
>
> PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
> http://www.phpclasses.org/

James Kilbride