At 3:19 PM -0700 8/17/06, Chris W. Parker wrote:
<?php

if($result = do_something('hello'))
{
  // do something with $result
}
else
{
  // do some other stuff
}

?>

The issue is whether or not this is a safe test. My initial thought is
that it is safe since I'm simply checking for true/false-ness. I either
check for '!== false' explicitly or (in the case of the latter example)
check that something other than 'false' is returned.

It's slightly less readable but it seems more efficient (if nothing more
than to save on the number of lines typed).

Thoughts?

Chris:

You can shorten it even further by:

if(do_something('hello'))
   {
  // do something with $result
   }
else
   {
  // do some other stuff
   }

I don't think it's any different than calling any other function that returns <whatever> or false.

I tried it out at --

http://xn--ovg.com/a14.php

-- with both pass and fail. All worked the same in all three ways.

hth's

tedd

--
-------