Hi all,

A customer has a problem. They've installed "Merlin" from Abriasoft. It is
a pre-built Apache/PHP/SSL/MySQL/... package. Their problem is that they
can't download files from my PHP application (which uses sessions) using IE
5.5 in Windows. Netscape works from all clients, IE 4 works, Mac clients
work. Here's a sample php script that fails:

<?php
// simple download test but starts a session
session_start();
session_register('rausch');
$rausch="testing";

$x = array();
$x = stat( "simple.pdf" );
header( "Content-Length: " . $x[7] );
header( "Accept-Ranges: bytes" );
header( "Connection: close" );
header( "Content-Type: application/pdf" );
readfile( "simple.pdf" );
?>

If I take out the session lines of code, it works fine.  The symptom when
it fails is that the dialog box for "open" or "save" comes up but no matter
which choice you make nothing ever happens.  If I comment out the session
stuff in the .php script, IE just launches Acrobat and downloads and
displays the file like it should.

What am I doing wrong or what can I do to work around this problem?  The
portions of their php.ini file that deal with sessions:

[Session]
session.save_handler      = files   ; handler used to store/retrieve data
session.save_path         = /tmp    ; argument passed to save_handler
                                    ; in the case of files, this is the
                                    ; path where data files are stored
session.use_cookies       = 1       ; whether to use cookies
session.name              = PHPSESSID
                                    ; name of the session
                                    ; is used as cookie name
session.auto_start        = 0       ; initialize session on request startup
session.cookie_lifetime   = 0       ; lifetime in seconds of cookie
                                    ; or if 0, until browser is restarted
session.cookie_path       = /       ; the path the cookie is valid for
session.cookie_domain     =         ; the domain the cookie is valid for
session.serialize_handler = php     ; handler used to serialize data
                                    ; php is the standard serializer of PHP
session.gc_probability    = 1       ; percentual probability that the
                                    ; 'garbage collection' process is started
                                    ; on every session initialization
session.gc_maxlifetime    = 1440    ; after this number of seconds, stored
                                    ; data will be seen as 'garbage' and
                                    ; cleaned up by the gc process
session.referer_check     =         ; check HTTP Referer to invalidate
                                    ; externally stored URLs containing ids
session.entropy_length    = 0       ; how many bytes to read from the file
session.entropy_file      =         ; specified here to create the session id
; session.entropy_length    = 16
; session.entropy_file      = /dev/urandom
session.cache_limiter     = nocache ; set to {nocache,private,public} to
                                    ; determine HTTP caching aspects
session.cache_expire      = 180     ; document expires after n minutes

Thanks,
Bill

---
 Bill Rausch, Software Development, Unix, Mac, Windows
 Numerical Applications, Inc.  509-943-0861   [EMAIL PROTECTED]