also consider that there maybe a reverse lookup being done on the sending MTA
that the sms gateway doesn't consider kosher .. and/or that the IP of the
sending MTA is grey-listed/black-listed.

also a check may be being done to see if the sender's account exists
on the sender's [your servers] domain.

check the relevant logs on your server to see what (if anything)
the sms gateway is asking your server. (no idea what/where those logs
are hiding out).

sorry if this all sounds vague, I'm mostly parroting what others have said
in the past - I'm hardly what you would call knowledgable with regard to mail
servers
and all that jazz.