At 10:04 AM -0500 1/24/07, Jon Anderson wrote:
Miles Thompson wrote:
More seriously, many times I've taken a "It's right, but not working, dammit!" SQL statement,
broken it up so it's listed "vertically" and discovered the error.
Just my 2 cents worth...

SQL actually does lend itself rather well to normal code style indenting, even though not many seem to do it...Breaking it (and PHP code of course) into 78/80-char lines makes great sense for readability within PHP code:

-snip-

These things are a real pain to read without formatting! :-)

I think writing unformatted SQL queries is like writing code like "if ($var) { statement; statement; statement; foreach ($var as $v) { statement; statement; statement; } statement; etc. }"

jon

jon:

That's nice -- never thought about that -- thanks.

As for monitor size, I've noticed over the years that my function size increased with the height of my monitor.

The width of my monitors didn't affect much because I've always worked with one line, one statement and most statements are shorter than 80 characters. However, having more than one monitor (I have three) is absolutely great in that I can have several windows open at the same time.

As for 12 inch monitors, I remember my old Apple ][ with a 9 inch monitor (not Apple, I think Sanyo) that I used with a real-time analog video camera, graphic tablet for digitizing, and the computer's text and graphics were drawn on top of everything -- now that was small, but it worked great. I could digitize the head of Lincoln from a penny.

tedd

--
-------