On Tue, April 10, 2007 8:01 am, tedd wrote:
> An OCR is an Optical Character Reader -- it's design is to recognize
> characters (A-Z 0-9), not images.
>
> That's the reason why I previously used the term "OCR-like"
> application -- meaning that it would be designed/programmed to "see"
> the differences between images and then make a decision as to what to
> do. That requires more effort than an OCR program.

It requires "more" or "less" effort depending on the problem space and
how well the computer has to "see" the image...

I'm sure there are "simple" and "harder" OCR-like problems.

> Add to that, that every image could present a new problem to decipher
> and you have the makings of a formidable deterrent. That's what
> asirra is all about, see:
>
> http://www.asirra.com/examples/ExampleService.html
>
> With millions of different images and more being added, it presents a
> considerable challenge to crack.

I think not...

You only have to find 10,000 people who hate MS and give each of them
200 unique images to identify.

FOr that matter, the images are coming from Petfinder, according to
their blurb...

How tough could it be to find the same bytes in an image in Petfinder
and then detect the "cat" or "dog" tag on their website -- assuming
they have categorized their Petfinder images by species/genus?

Methinks a dedicated cracker could defeat this in very short order.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?