Here's an appropriate example, one of a few ways you may do it :

 $state  = 'Wa';

 $state  = trim(strtoupper($state));
 $states = array('WA' => 'Washington', 'OR' => 'Oregon', 'ID' => 'Idaho');

  if (in_array($state, array_keys($states))) {

    echo "you chose <b>{$states[$state]}</b>, a state in the pacific NW!";

  } else {

    echo "you've chosen <b>$state</b>, an inferior state indeed.";
  }

In the above, we make sure the chosen state is a $states key/index as
array_keys creates an array of keys, from the $states array, like so :

  $keys = array('WA','OR','ID');

If $state is in this array, bingo!  That's one way, it all depends on what
you're doing exactly.  in_array() is a nice little function btw, that's
the point of this post :)  Check out array_keys and array_search too.

regards,
philip