This can be done quite easily using shared memory and/or a database to
share data between the scripts.
Really? could you give me a little briefing about this method?

Actually, what you are looking for is an eggdrop bot which is written in TCL. PHP in my humble opinion was not designed to handle something like that as it requires realtime processing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that isn't what PHP was designed to do was it? There are many eggdrop bots out there and are very easy to setup and administer.

Yeah, I know, but as I said in my first message I'm unfortunately tied to php; that's because I need some very specific functions that aren't standard at all (thus I have to script them myself and php is the only language I'm enough familiar with), plus I need to be always able to edit them (so again, I need to know the language) according to the needs.