Richard Heyes wrote:
Real life is rarely optimal.

That's not a valid excuse for taking the sloppy pig route to
development. Sloppy pig's give conscientious developers a bad name. And
when they use PHP to create their slop, they give PHP a bad name.

Well I err towards actually doing something useful. Businesses can rarely wait while developers create a technically perfect application. Those that do are rarely successful. As always there's a balance to be struck between writing technically perfect code and getting the job done.

I don't see a reason to compromise. It would take no longer to call extension_loaded on each page request than it will to put the variable in the session. You're right in saying that there's a balance to be struck, but in this particular case I personally see a right way and a wrong way and no compromise needed to do it properly.

You would think you would lean towards conscientiousness since you use
an email address with "phpguru" in it. But I guess anyone can claim
whatever they want... it doesn't make it true. Maybe you could see if
phpsloppypig.org is available (it is btw).

Ah personal insults. Always a good argument.

I couldn't care less what your domain name is, you're still advocating a poor choice IMHO.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/