I'm now using PHP 5.2.5.

Well, it seems to still be happening. This describes the problem but I
haven't found a solution that works for me yet:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=11058

Is it a PHP problem or DNS? It works sometimes but not other times......
something strange is going on.

Example messages:
[Fri Dec 28 11:59:04 2007] [error] [client 192.168.0.51] PHP Warning:
fopen() [<a href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]:
php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known
[Fri Dec 28 11:59:04 2007] [error] [client 192.168.0.51] PHP Warning:
fopen(http://www.lantanalinks.com) [<a
href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]: failed to open stream: Success

I suppose I could adjust the script to try again if it fails the first time,
but I shouldn't have to.

Some additional info, when it fails with this problem, it fails very quickly
(in less than half a second)... its like it doesn't even try to look up the
name.

--
Albert Wiersch
Fix your website: http://onlinewebcheck.com