The general concencus is that when you have to send one email to a whole
lotta people, it's best to use a mail list handler like egroups, listgroup,
major domo, etc. It's just more reliable and you can spend time on
developing your code, not your emailing system.

I never do that, but I figure I should reccommend it anyway ;)

Now, if you're using Bcc or multiple functions the only spam blocker is from
your system's sendmail. Some people set sendmail so that if a single user is
sending a very large number of emails, some of the emails might get trashed
because the system thinks the person is a spammer. This only happens with
some webhosts and most of them don't do it, and not much you can do if they
do it other than leave or use a mail list service, so there you have it.

If I were you I'd stick about 40-50 addresses into Bcc, send it to mail,
then get the next load of address and send them to mail, lather, rinse, and
repeat till finished. Less of a chance for sendmail to eat an email and
suddenly your whole list misses the email.

The ideal way is to give the email and the addresses to some other program
which will pass them to sendmail one at a time, waiting for each one to
finish before sending another, but not holding up your PHP program and
logging any errors to a log file. If I knew more about how sendmail worked
I'd write something like that in java :)

Plutarck

""Tom Carter"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
000f01c0e120$0616e260$0a00a8c0@bjorn">news:000f01c0e120$0616e260$0a00a8c0@bjorn...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a list of email addresses pulled from a database and I want to send
> out an email to all of them  (they are the registered users of this
> particular site). For the first issue of the newsletter I expect to have
> about 4000 people, but that will probably go up significantly in future
> issues.
>
> I can do the sending email normally and extraction of addresses, but my
> question was really a more general one.
> Is there anything I should be doing different when sending to so many?
> Is it better to send a load of addresses altogether (in bcc for example)
for