Richard Lynch wrote:
On Sat, January 19, 2008 8:24 pm, Eric Butera wrote:
I always make sure that I use a site specific salt which is just
appended on the user supplied value.  I started doing that when I read
that people had created huge databases of hashed values that they can
just search on.  At least this way no matter what the password isn't a
dictionary word.  As for if that really adds value in the end I can't
say as I'm not really a security expert.

Eg. hash('sha256', $input.$salt);

The Bad Guys create humongous databases of every dictionary word with
every possible salt...  So what salt you use does not matter...

Sure it does. I could use my server name or the application's url, the current time, whatever I like and put all of that in the salt. There's no way they'll have that in their dictionary.

As long as I store the salt I know how to compare it again later.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/