Richard Heyes wrote:
+ rewrite is overkill for this, but long term it's worth implementing and getting used to - think of the post as a pre-emptive strike on the inevitable question in a couple of weeks: "how can i make /profile/adam instead of profile.php?user=adam"

Have a directory in your htdocs called /profile/adam and in that place a default document redirecting. Still no need for mod_rewrite. Unless of course you want the url to remain in the addressbar, but personally I don't think that is as important as what the user has to type in initially.

Never thought I'd have to find a way to explain the benefits of url re-writing.

[snip]
/profile/adam and in that place a default document redirecting. Still no need for mod_rewrite
[/snip]
Let's say we've got 2.5 million users :: weight up 2.5 million files vs 1 rewrite rule

map:
/rental/property/23425
to:
/index.php?mod=property&section=rentals&propertyid=23425

SEO :: not even going in to this one

finally, do you honestly not use mod_rewrite in anything you've made?