""Thiago Pojda"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> De: George J [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>> So calling the script via the form works i.e it passes the
>> neccessary variables to constrct the sql query for the next
>> call.
>
> As Shawn said, if you really need the query again add it to session,
> never,
> NEVER give the user the ability to see/execute queries by himself
> (remember
> POST data could be easily manipulated). Remember what Daniel said, adding
> DELETE FROM is not hard and veeery bad>
OK. I see the logic.

> Ok, let me ask you something. Why post to itself? You could have a script
> only to do form actions, that way you can:
> 1 Separate huge php validations with your html form.
> 2 Use functions to handle the incoming data and writing the new query (or
> the old one again).

I suspect that most folk in my position start the learning process by
finding a script that does a similar task and adapting it. This is basically
what I've done. I started by finding a form example and then added a
pagination routine then... Several deadends later... Not the best way to
write anything but the simplest of scripts. However, the numerous changes to
the code has entailed lots of learning during the process. So in answer to
your question. I didn't set out with any idea of the best way to write the
script. Just a broad idea of what I wanted to end up with.

> As it's built at server side, the user is never going to see your query or
> [1]manipulate it as you're writing it all over again, just using your old
> parameters (they could be added as hidden fields in the form if strictly
> necessary).
>

>> So, as I see it, the pagination links won't POST the form
>> variables. How do I pass the 'SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE
>> selection=option LIMIT start, range'
>> query to the called script?
>
> You should try building a default query where you only add the parameters
> given by the user. If you can't seem to recover that, add them to
> $_SESSION
> and you'll be fine next time you want them (if you don't overwrite it
> =] ).

My query code-

-------SQL query construction block
      $query = "SELECT * FROM prods ";
      if($catagory != 0){                                               //
if category != 0
         $where="WHERE c = $catagory ";
         if ($manu != 0){                                          // check
manu != 0
            $and = "AND m = $manu ";
            if ($searchstring != 0){
               $and = $and."AND description LIKE \"%$searchstring%\" "; //
check like != 0
            }
         }else{
$query=$query.$where.$and.$like

Can you please explain your suggestion above in laymans terms. I can't see
what you have in mind. Is it your suggestion to use one script, containing a
from, that calls another script that handles my query construction? That far
I follow you but what happens next?