Nathan Nobbe wrote:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Jeremy Privett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

 This is a holy war that is never going to end. It boils down to personal
and professional preferences. The fact of the matter is, if a company uses
these concepts and you don't know, understand, or execute that knowledge in
an interview, chances are you're not going to be hired. It doesn't matter
what your personal opinion is on the feature of the language.

Useless or not, if it's not your project, you don't get to make that call.
If it is your project, do whatever you want.

quite concise.  i would venture to say that php is broad enough in its
feature set that there are jobs out there for developers all over the
spectrum on paradigm preference.  that said, id also venture to say that
many of the larger php shops out there are looking for the oop concepts; and
yes, im including interfaces in there; tho many companies that are oop dont
care about them.  on top of that; i think facebook is like only somewhat
oop.  they showed us some of their code when i was in dc. and a lot of it
was procedural.

-nathan

Absolutely. There's enough out there to get whatever you're looking for, if you do the work and look hard enough. A place I worked at last year had its infrastructure centered around this system called XOBase ( http://www.xobase.com ) which is arguably the worst system I've worked with in my life. It was all procedural, though. Not a shread of OOP to find there until after I started. I quit shortly after I started because the place completely misrepresented the work I was supposed to be doing, the working environment, and a lot more that I can't say here. There were four developers working on one system, one remotely on the opposite side of the country, and the company didn't even use anything resembling source control. I can't tell you the number of problems they had when trying to roll out releases. I started in the middle of a release cycle, so they wouldn't take the time to let me try and implement at least SVN for their source control woes.

Moral of the story, there's plenty of stuff out there, and a lot of it really isn't that great. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

--
Jeremy Privett
C.E.O. & C.S.A.

http://www.omegavortex.net

Please note: This message has been sent with information that could be
confidential and meant only for the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete all copies and inform us of the error as soon
as possible. Thank you for your cooperation.