At 1:22 PM -0700 5/17/08, James Colannino wrote:
tedd wrote:

James:

Hey tedd, thanks for the response!

1. A $_SESSION variable;

After googling briefly on the subject of sessions, it looks like this is probably the way I'd want to go. I like this idea, because I can modularize the code and call different php scripts for different actions. I could have each script check for the proper session variables, and if they don't exist, redirect the user to the login page.

I'm assuming that a session will last as long as the browser is open (or until it's explicitly destroyed), correct? Are there any security issues I should be aware of? Since there's a login, I'd be serving this over SSL, and the user's password would be stored as an SHA1 hash in the MySQL db.

James

James:

Not meaning to be short, but all questions about sessions can be better answered via the manuals.

As for security, it's better if you read about it -- it longer and more complicated than what an email exchange would allow. I recommend purchasing Essential PHP Security (2005 O'Reilly)

http://shiflett.org/

In my estimation, that's essential.

Storing the user's password as a MD5 hash on MySQL is what I do -- it works for me.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------