At 3:08 PM +0200 5/21/08, Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 2008-05-12 15:40:54, schrieb Stut:
> Well, some of his pages do but that's complicating the issue. As far
as I can tell the only bit of Javascript common to all Tedd's pages is the Google Analytics code which is not required for you to use the site, it just enhances the ability for Tedd to analyse how people are using it.

Ahh, -- urchinTracker() is from Google.  :-)

And if used without  informing  users,  it  is  definitivly  a  privacy
violation.  At least in most EU countries like Germany and France.

Well then, all web sites are a privacy violation by your definition.

Web sites come standard with server logs and other data gatherers like Webalizer, which none notify the user that their access is being recorded.

However, all data collected in such logs can not be tracked back to a specific user, and thus they are not really a "privacy" violation.

If I say that 43 percent of my web site's visitors come from Europe, and 30 percent use IE6 then it's not a privacy violation to collect this data because this data is not tied to a known specific user.

This is much like a traffic counter at on a roadway. Just because you drove over the counter does not constitute a violation of your privacy.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------