2008/8/23 Ólafur Waage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Robert, thanks for the reply but i had tried __FILE__ and __DIR__
> (which is dirname(__FILE__)) but it doesnt work.
>
> And thanks for the reply also Ashley but as i said in my first post, i
> had tried $_SERVER with limited results

If checking the output of phpinfo() doesn't help (and it looks like it
won't), I'd suggest starting with REQUEST_URI, then, if you know where
your webroot is, you should be able to calculate the path to the
target directory ("/var/www/example/../test/" in your original
example) by gluing bits of path together. Hardly an ideal solution as
it needs configuration, but it would work.

I think this is really a mod_rewrite problem, as by the time PHP takes
over you've lost the information you need. You may have better luck in
a forum devoted to mod_rewrite, but I'm not optimistic that it has a
"what file would have handled this request if mod_rewrite hadn't run"
parameter. I think you're going to have to build your directory path
from the information in the original request and some configuration
glue. Good luck

(BTW, I initially thought there might be something in mod_autoindex to
run a custom script, but it doesn't look like there is.)

--

http://www.otton.org/