I'm stuck on a piece of code for a shopping cart.

I'm on the final page where the buyer clicks BUY and several things
happen. I want to loop through the table that stores the session info and
extract details such as item, price, quantity, subtotal and assign all
this info to one variable:

$var = the output of a while($row = mysql_fetch_array($query)) statement

Why I'm trying to do this is I'd like to store all the purchase details in
one variable for inclusion in an email:

$message = $var;       // (from above)
mail($address,$subject,$message);

I'd also like to put the info in that same variable into a table that
records actual sales data:

$details = $var;
insert into table ('details') values ('$details');

I know there must be a (probably very easy) way, but just can't crack it.

At the moment I'm writing the stuff to a temporary file then reading it
back again which isn't very elegant.

Also, is there any easy way to simply open and read a text file and assign
its contents to a variable? 'fpassthru','fread' and 'file' all seem to
have limitations in this regard:

fpassthru sends output to standard output and apparently won't store
output in a variable (unless I did something wrong)

fread needs a parameter for number of characters,

file adds <P> tags

Anyway, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Michael hall