Tom Chubb wrote:
Can anyone offer advice on best practices for email address verification?
Obviously for user registration it's common to click a link in your email to
complete the process thereby verifying the email, but if you want to keep
things very simple for the end user, what are the best methods?
I have been looking at getmxrr and the examples feature some good advice,
etc.
One that I've found that I'm thinking of using is
http://www.tienhuis.nl/php-email-address-validation-with-verify-probe which
tries to connect to the SMTP server as well as mx lookup, etc.
How reliable are these?
With new domain name extensions appearing all the time I wanted to find
something better than a regex which might become outdated after a while and
I'd never know about it!

Thoughts please and thanks in advance

Here's what I use. It's simple, uses php5 functions and appears to catch most
obvious user input errors.

function checkEmailAddr($emailAddr)
{
if(!filter_var($emailAddr, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) throw new Exception("Email address error. Syntax is wrong.");

    $domain = substr(strchr($emailAddr, '@'), 1);

    if(!checkdnsrr($domain))
    {
throw new Exception("Email address warning. Specified domain \"$domain\" appears to be invalid. Check carefully.");
    }
    return true;
}

Use in try/catch code, e.g.,
try
{
   $emailAddrOK = checkEmailAddr($userSubmitedDataArray[EMAIL_ADDR_FIELD]);
}
catch (Exception $e)
{
   $errorMsg = $e->getMessage(); //Message text in check function
   $emailAddrOK= false;