On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Nathan Rixham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> *Procedural or OOP?*
    I'm perfectly comfortable with both, but call me old-hat --- I far
prefer procedural.

> *Dev OS*
    Loaded question, since - as a small ISP - I generally try to
create an environment that exactly-matches the client's if I can, and
if the project is of a large enough scope to warrant such.  Otherwise,
it'll be CentOS or Mandriva most often.

> *Dev PHP Version*
    Again, loaded question, for the same reason.  Never anything newer
or of a different branch than the client's server though, and always
being sure that the code will be compliant with other (recent)
versions of PHP.

> *Live Server OS*
    Generally, I use CentOS5.  I've been involved with that project
since 2004, and Mandrake (now Mandriva, of course) since 2002, which
is what I use on the desktop side.

> *Live Server PHP Version*
    Usually the latest stable, but depending on the CHANGELOG, I may
delay the installation due to a few important reasons.  Namely: level
of activity (traffic) on the server, what would even possibly cease to
Just Work[tm], et cetera.

> *Which HTTP Server Software (+version)?*
    I'm still on the path with Apache2 and - in rarer and rarer
occasions - the 1.3 branch.  I've used a bunch of other servers, and
recently started playing around with Igor Sysoev's NGINX, but aside
from Apache, the only server I've really stood completely by was a
tiny Windows server written by Mark Thompson at AnalogX.  I used to
use it for all of my home-based sites housed on a Win98 box given to
me (including my X10 and speech-over-web development), written in both
Perl and PHP over the years.

> *IDE / Dev Environment*
    Vim on CLI.  For everything.  'Nuff said.

   Yeah, that's how serious I am.  'Nuff said.  End transmission.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
More full-root dedicated server packages: