----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcus James Christian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 6:18 AM
Subject: [PHP] Filtering out \ when a ' is user entered?

> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to PHP but all I've seen of it so far I pretty much love!
>
> I've built a web log but when the user enters their data and they use '
> or "  (and you know they will)   php always shows it from the included
> web log as
>
> \'  How can I filter out these backslashes so they don't appear on the
> final public viewable page?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus James Christian - UNLIMITED -
> Multimedia Internet Design
> http://mjchristianunlimited.com

You can use stripslashes($yourvar) for this.

You can this behavior off by setting magic_quote_gpc to
off in php.ini. Please not that  if you'll try to insert this values to
a database without the slashes, your queries will break, and they'll
become security breaches.

Think about this:

$query = "select * from users where username='$u_name'";

and the user enters into the $u_name field:
' and '1'='1

Ouch...

However, if those dashes were escaped with slashes, the query
will execute and return no values.

Never trust input from users, always check it.
--
Meir Kriheli
MKsoft computer systems

  'There's someone in my head but it's not me" - Pink Floyd