At 4:10 PM +1300 12/21/08, Aslan wrote:
Hey there,

I have a problem where I have a simple -script that I am wanting to pass back to itself three times
1) Symptoms - > 2) Troubleshooting questions 3) Answer to problem

-snip-

I have it currently all on one page, but it isn't quite what I was after
..
Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Aslan:

Keeping it all on one page (one script) is fine -- no problems with that.

Here's the technique I use.

$step = isset($__POST ['step']) ? $__POST ['step'] :1;

if($step == 1)
   {
   // do the first page stuff (Symptoms)
   // with a POST form that has an <input type="hidden" name="step" value="1">
   }

if($step == 2)
   {
   // do the second page stuff ( Troubleshooting questions)
   // with a POST form that has an <input type="hidden" name="step" value="2">
   }

if($step == 3)
   {
   // do the third page stuff (Answer to problem)
   // with a POST form that has an <input type="hidden" name="step" value="3">
   }

If you want to pass variables between pages (trips from client to the server nad back again), you have four options, namely: 1) writing/reading a file; 2) writing/reading a database entry; 3) passing via a POST/GET; 4) or using SESSIONS.

For most things, I prefer using POST/GET and/or SESSIONS. Try this format:

$var1 = isset($_POST['var1']) ? $_POST['var1'] : null;
$var2 = isset($_SESSION['var2']) ? $_SESSION['var2'] : null;

That's the way I pass data between client and server.

However, what you are describing sounds a bit like this:

http://webbytedd.com/b/exam/

With this example, I'm not passing anything to the server -- everything is kept client-side and is quick.

If interested, all the code is there.

Cheers,

tedd

--