Hi, I'm looking for some ideas on the best way to parse blocks of text that is formatted such as:

$sometext %\r\n                                         -- good data
$otherstring %\r\n                                              -- good data
$andyetmoretext %\r\n                                   -- good data
$finaltext                                                              -- bad
data (missing ending)

Each line should start with a $dollar sign, then some arbitrary text, ends with a percent sign, followed by carriage-return and line-feed. Sometimes though, the final line is not complete. In that case, I want to save those lines too.

....so that I end up with an array like:

$result = array (       "matches" =>
                array ( 0 => "$sometext %\r\n",
                                1 => "$otherstring %\r\n",
                                2 => "$andyetmoretext %\r\n"
                                ),
        "non_matches" =>
                array ( 3 => "$finaltext"
                                )
                        );

The key thing here is that the line numbers are preserved and the non- matched lines are saved...

Any ideas, what's the best way to go about this? Preg_matc, preg_split or something incorporating explode?

....Rene