On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 11:37 +1100, Ross McKay wrote:
> Richard Heyes wrote:
>
> >I've not come across many databases where 20-50 tables have 10 million
> >rows each. And with a table of that size, then I might be coerced into
> >thinking about the storage requirements a little more. Maybe.
>
> Not on MySQL, but I've worked on databases with hundreds of millions of
> rows, in multiple tables. Converting varchars to chars would mean huge
> amounts of expensive SAN storage, plus the overheads of scanning through
> rows on disc suddenly become important.
>
> Maybe not applicable to little website databases, but again... know your
> data and pick the appropriate type. I use a mix of char, varchar and
> text depending on the requirements. And enum :)
>
> >> Now add another 20 to 50 tables depending on
> >> the database. If you want to throw away money go ahead, but I don't know
> >> too many clients that want to waste 10 gigs of mostly padded space.
> >
> >I don't know of many clients who care as long as it is performant and
> >cost effective. Wasting 10 Gigs is not a great deal when you have a
> >drive measured in the hundreds of Gigs.
>
> Performant isn't a word - Microsoft marketing term.
>
> Wasting 10GB is important when it's expensive storage, backed up,
> replicated, transferred to other systems over comms links, etc. It also
> means more disc access, unless you have a surplus 10GB RAM for extra
> caching. Disc access is usually what kills database performance.
> --
> Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
> "Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"
> - The Wee Book of Calvin

enum is just so useful! I just haven't found the equivalent in mssql. I
find the mssql offering distinctly lacking in places, especially with
tools to manipulate it. mysql on the other hand is no only more powerful
and friendlier, but a darn site faster too!

sorry to troll, but i had a really bad week with mssql, and a very good
one with mysql, and thought i'd share the love/hate thing i got going
on!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk