Colin Guthrie schrieb:
'Twas brillig, and Daevid Vincent at 14/01/09 21:39 did gyre and gimble:
The pages are significantly slower than straight PHP by orders of magnitude: http://paul-m-jones.com/?p=315

Shock News: Frameworks that allow you to write an application in less code do stuff in the background for you.

I don't mean to state the very obvious but of course frameworks will be slower than a simpler and less flexible/powerful/maintainable solution.

That's like buying an F1 car for your daily commute to work then complaining about the MPGs you get!

Frameworks are not about running faster, they are about implementing faster and more efficiently, using a standard technique that allows other developers to take over from you later with minimal hand over, it's about being able to take on new staff without having to train them in all your specific code etc.

One of the things these speed tests totally fail to take into consideration is that any sensibly written application will have a caching structure at it's core and will utilise it *heavily*. When an application is written with a good caching policy/infrastructure, the performance as a whole goes up by orders of magnitude.

Some performance shootouts don't even employ opcode caches which is just insane in any kind of sensible hosting environment.

In short, don't believe the hype and use a little bit of logic and common sense to make comparisons as to which approach is "better" (remember "better" != "raw performance") for you.

Col

PS FWIW, I have adopted Zend_Framework and while some of the paradigms don't fully suit me I have extended and adapted them to make it work very well for me.

Hi Colin,
i agree that.

Carlos Medina