Bob McConnell wrote:

To take this question a step further, is there a PHP best practices
document available? I am looking for one that I can give to a new
programmer and tell her "do it this way until you can explain to me why
you shouldn't."

Bob McConnell

I just remembered why I started doing it the way I currently do it (earlier thread on this I had forgotten) - my desktop monitor went south, so I ended up using my laptop exclusively for a few months (money was tight) - an old Thinkpad with low ram, so X11 really taxes it, worked in console a lot.

Work in a console and vertical space is of viewing value, hence putting the opening { at the end and not on new line of it's own, and it has stuck with me ever since.