The output buffer on or off does not matter. If there is nothing sent, there is
nothing sent.

If you have just a space, a new line, in one of included files and before
<?php
that will be considered an header sent (the default one, usually)

every echo before the header will be considered an header sent.

output after, and headers before, should usually be the last thing ever to send
to the client, in any case (let's say tomorrow the same page should generate a
PDF rather than HTML, you overwrite headers? bad practice and problems with
some version of IE quite for sure)

The only thing I could think about, common empty spaces problem a part, is a
prepended file or a forced header for every request.

To test this you simply need to create a file like this:
<?php
header('Content-Type: text/javascript');
echo 'alert("ok")';
?>

If that page generates an header you could have UTF-8 BOM problems, a prepended
file in the Apache configuration which is broken/bugged/crap, or something
truly bad in the configuration.