2009/4/27 9el <le...@phpxperts.net>:

>> Thanks for the clarification, Mike. In my ignorance, I was under the
>> impression that the right side of the equation was only for the use of
>> the left part. How stupid of me. So what I should have been doing was
>> $Count1 = $Count + 1; right?

$Count1 = $Count++;

is not the same as

$Count1 = $Count + 1;

<?php
$Count1 = 100;
echo "Start with $Count1", PHP_EOL;
$Count1 = $Count1++;
echo "For \$Count1 = \$Count1++; the value in \$Count1 is $Count1", PHP_EOL;
$Count1 = $Count1 + 1;
echo "For \$Count1 = \$Count1 + 1; the value in \$Count1 is $Count1", PHP_EOL;

outputs ...

Start with 100
For $Count1 = $Count1++; the value in $Count1 is 100
For $Count1 = $Count1 + 1; the value in $Count1 is 101

This shows that post-inc during an assignment does not affect the
value assigned.

Something that I thought would happen was if I ...

<?php
$Count1 = 100;
echo $Count1 = $Count1++, PHP_EOL;
echo $Count1, PHP_EOL;

I thought I'd get ...

101
100

but I get

100
100

I thought the ++ would happen AFTER the assignment and the ++ to the
value of the assignment. But this is not the case.

--
-----
Richard Quadling