I suppose I am opposed to 'custom systems' with PHP. I feel that you
shouldn't have to learn "new-stuff" that is specific to a certain system if
it is so extensive. I know, I'm lazy, but I've been trying to learn PHP (as
well as needing to learn JavaScript, SQL, and CSS 2.0 lately) and not stuff
that will only work in a closed system.

That said; Drupal is VERY powerful, and VERY convenient given the
multi-lingual aspects you (Rob) mentioned. From my angle, achieving what
wanted through Drupal was proving to be almost impossible, when I had a good
idea of how to accomplish it on my own, and figuring out how to integrate
Drupal with my own custom scripts was proving to be a headache for me, so I
ditched Drupal.

Again, Drupal is amazing. I guess what I was trying to say was "it depends".
Drupal is great for non-programmers who want to do very simple things, or
for professional PHP programmers who want to do pretty much anything.

Cheers :)

Allen