On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Per Jessen <p...@computer.org> wrote:
> Tommy Pham wrote:
>
>> What I find funny is that one of opponents of PHP threads earlier
>> mentioned that how silly it would be to be using C in a web app.  Now
>> I hear people mentioning C when they need "productivity" or "speed"...
>>

> I think I was the one to mention the latter, but as I started out
> saying, and as others have said too, it's about the right tool for the
> right job.  When choosing a tool, there are a number of factors to
> consider - developer productivity, available skills, future
> maintenance, performance, scalability, portability, parallelism,
> performance etcetera.

Funny you should mention all that.  Let's say that you're longer with
that company, either by direct employment or contract consultant.
You've implemented C because you need 'thread'.  Now your replacement
comes in and has no clue about C even though your replacement is a PHP
guru.  How much headache is maintenance gonna be?  Scalability?
Portability? wow....