On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Stuart Dallas <stut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Mar 2010, at 09:36, Rene Veerman wrote:
>
>> unless the actual php development team would like to weigh in on this
>> matter of course.
>>
>> yes, i do consider it that important.
>>
>> these nay-sayers usually also lobby the dev-team to such extent that
>> these features would actually not make it into php.
>
> Frankly I don't give a crap whether threading is supported in PHP, it does
> everything I need it to do. If I need threading I use a language that
> supports it, like Python or C++.

good, so we'll put you down as a "neutral"... despite what follows;

> I love the way you call us nay-sayers like it's supposed to be an insult. I
> follow the KISS principle to the nth, and as such threading in PHP doesn't
> make a lot of sense to me. I'm yet to come across a problem I couldn't solve
> with pure PHP, but when the need arises I have no issue mixing in a little
> C++, Python, Ruby, or whatever, to meet my performance and scalability goals.
> I go to the mountain, I don't sit there complaining that the mountain ain't
> moving in my direction!

your metaphor is funny but inaccurate.  therefore invalid.

> My opinion, and that of most others who've weighed in, is that you're almost
> certainly looking at the problem from the wrong angle. What you haven't done
> is explicitly explain why you want threading to be supported. Give us a real
> example of why you think it should be supported and I guarantee we can come
> up with a way to get you what you want without requiring massive changes to
> the core of your chosen tool. And if we can't then you may actually convince
> us that threading would be a valuable feature to have available.

no sorry i don't have to. all i'll say is: realtime systems with real
work to do, are often better implemented with a non-sql solution that
can use threading and shared memory support. period.
it's so blatantly obvious that i don't feel like i have to spell out a
complete example, which YOU can then say: "ah, but there's different
ways of doing that!".
STOP TRYING TO DETERMINE MY HABITS AND CHOICE OF TOOLS.

> You mentioned Facebook as an example of a popular application. Are you aware
> that they only recently started using their compiler in production, and that
> prior to that they were happily running PHP to serve their front end without
> ever complaining that it didn't support threading? Even now, with hip-hop,
> individual requests are served in a single thread, so the language itself
> still doesn't support threading, and I don't hear them complaining that it's
> costing them a fortune. Why? Because it's not. And if it was they would have
> added it by now.

yea, they didn't complain, they had the cash income to build the
hip-hop compiler.
i thank 'm for it.

> One final thing... if threading is this important to you, then I'm sure there
> are a number of developers who would happily add it in a fork of the core for
> suitable compensation. Once implemented it's possible the internals team
> would accept it for addition to the official version. If you really believe
> it has the potential to save you a butt-load of cash, the economics of paying
> for it should stack up.

I dont feel i need to pay for a programming language keeping up with the times.
Then i'll indeed find another language to use.