I'm not sure of any open source projects that match what you're asking for,
but I still recommend PHP.

I get the impression that you are new to programming. If so, I do recommend
PHP. At least in my case, PHP came easier than Perl or Python, probably
because PHP is primarily designed for use on the Web. I say try going
through the php Web site (http://www.php.net) and reading through the
documentation. There is a learning curve there, but it is time well spent.

If you are willing to move away from the low cost open source stuff, I'd
(marginally) recommend ColdFusion, simply because it so easy to learn. CF is
very close to HTML and it is an easy transition. But, because ColdFusion
servers cost money, be expected to pay more for the web hosting space (maybe
75% more?).

Finally, if your project is big and is expected to receive a significant
number of hits (tens of thousands?), I'd recommend contracting with a
professional developer or (my favorite) getting a computer science intern
from a local college for the summer, especially if you are on an unmovable
deadline. Home grown stuff, especially stuff that was developed before
mastering the language, is fine, but I'd be nervous trusting a
"mission-critical" application to an untested developer on deadline.

--Mark.