> 1) Can someone please clarify if we need something else for this
> (asp,cgi,ect).

You don't need anything other than PHP & mySQL. What you are talking about
could be done in ASP, but would be much more difficult (most people find ASP
to be a much more difficult language). When you say CGI, you probably mean
Perl, which is the most popular. If you want to, you can use PHP as CGI. You
could do your entire system in Perl, but Perl is considered more difficult
than PHP.

I think you should use PHP, but then again an ASP list would say ASP w/ an
Access database. A Perl list would say Perl with- what does Perl use for a
database???

> 2) If PHP is the best choice can someone please suggest perhaps to an
> ongoing PHP open-source project which would lend to such an endeavor?

The best place I have found for scripts is hotscripts.com (although they need
more Python...) You can probably find something there to help you, but I
doubt you could find an entire system. You could also try some advanced
searches with google, or if you want to sort through a LOT of results,
http://fravia.2113.ch/phplab/blue.php searches many, many search engines.