On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Ethan Rosenberg <eth...@earthlink.net> wrote:

<snip>

> Tommy -
>
> Thanks.
>
> As I stated, I am a newbie.
>
> 1] I am trying to shorten the learning curve by asking some questions, which
> I understand are probably trivial.  A whole MySQLi list of functions at this
> point is to much for me.  I have to break the problem into manageable parts.
>
> 2] It has been my experience that using a GUI does not teach the whole
> subject.  Linux, which is the OS I use cannot be run from a GUI.
>
> In the code being discussed, I wish to create a database and add two tables.
>  I also note a MySQL statement that can be used to add data to an existing
> table, and wish to be able to execute this statement using PHP.
>
> So, therefore......
>
> Let us try to answer the following two(2) questions:
>
> a] What changes [other than moving the simicolons] have to be made to
> correct the code.

That's why I suggested you to read that section regarding the usage of
PHP's MySQL extension.  If you still have problems understanding that
section or if it's a bit too much, I strongly suggest you start
reading the manual from the beginning.  It's obvious you're not very
clear on the syntax of PHP and you jumped right into the middle of
accessing the database and try to manipulate the DB using PHP.

What you need to know is the fundamentals 1st: variable declarations
and assignments, types of variables, basic outputs (such as echo,
print, etc), conditions, loops, etc...  In the official manual, all of
that is covered up to Classes & Objects, not including.  Class &
Objects and there after are for more of PHP5+ and OOP.  When in doubt,
there is always the function reference.

> b] What books can you suggest to help w/ MySQL and PHP?  I already have the
> SQL, MySQL & PHP, and HTML books in the ..... for Dummies series.  I need
> something with a little more depth and detail.

If you intend to use PHP to access the a DBMS, you need to have a
strong grasp of fundamentals of SQL.  I mean that as beyond  a simple
select statement.  If you already have that and the fundamentals of
PHP, reading that MySQL section I mentioned should give you the
understanding you needed on how to use PHP to access and manipulate
the data from the DB.  One good way to learn to copy the sample codes
from the manual and run it on your development box.   Make some
changes to code after the 1st few runs to see if you're understanding
it correctly and that you should be getting the output from the code
change as you expected based on your understanding of the material you
just read.  Reading any books (hard copy or electronic version) are
good but you won't truly understand and remember how it works unless
you apply that knowledge ASAP, IMO.  Learning for me is reverse
engineering.  That's the fastest way I learn.

> Thanks to all for your excellent help.
>
> Ethan
> ========
>  Using Debian(sid)