I know that credit cards have standard formats: There's a standard
number of digits, and whether the card is Visa, MC, Amex, etc is
encoded in the number, and there is some kind of checksum, and I think
the expiration is also encoded in the number.  All of this is obvious
stuff that anyone designing such a system would do.

I'm wondering if anyone can refer me to a site that describes what
this format is, so I can write some PHP code that will check to see if
a credit card number format is correct.  I don't even want to try to
run the card through my merchant account if the format is obviously
wrong.  I assume that banks check the rejection rate on their merchant
accounts, and too many bogus cards would not look good.

I did a quick search on the web, and there are a vast number of
"hacker" credit card number generators, but that isn't exactly what
I'm looking for.

Thanks