On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 05:10:39PM -0400, Daniel Brown wrote:

>    On Aug 18, 2012 4:49 PM, "Paul M Foster" <[1]pa...@quillandmouse.com>
>    wrote:
>    >
>    > I can comment on part of this based on what I was recently told by an
>    > SEO company. Let's assume you've got a bunch of SEO "goodness"
>    > (recognition, Google search placement, etc.) going for you on
>    [2]site1.com.
>    > If you a permanent redirect (301) to [3]site2.com, all that SEO goodness
>    > will transfer straight across to the new site.
>    >
>    > You may take this with whatever grain of salt you like, considering it
>    > comes from an SEO company and I consider SEO companies almost uniformly
>    > liars and ripoff artists who generally have no earthly idea what they're
>    > talking about. In this case, what they're saying makes sense to me, and
>    > I suspect it's true.
>
>    ��� That doesn't sound right to me.� If so, I'd presume a lot of folks
>    would be doing that as a service.� I have several PR6-8 domains myself,
>    and could see how someone (not me) might say, "since I'm really not using
>    these domains anyway, I'll 301 to a paying customer for them to include
>    their ranking."� If for no other reason than I haven't heard of folks
>    doing this (read: SPAM), I'd guess it's not true.
>
>    ��� Still, other folks are far more knowledgeable than Yours Truly when it
>    comes to SEO.� Just for good measure, I've CC'd one (Thiago Pojda) to see
>    if he'd be interested in chiming in on the matter.

[grin]

Well, what I didn't say in my original email was why this came up with
the SEO company in the first place (and part of why I think SEO
companies have no idea what they're talking about).

We had built a website for a customer, and then they called in this SEO
company to advise them. The SEO company insisted on a 301 permanent
redirect at the top of every page of the site. From what domain to what
domain, you may ask. From www.yourdomain.com to yourdomain.com. I kid
you not. The theory being that the SEO "goodness" from
www.yourdomain.com would transfer to yourdomain.com, if someone came in
from a www.yourdomain.com link somewhere. Seriously. Never mind that for
years, DNS zone files have been routinely set up so that www.example.com
is a DNS alias for example.com, and so it was in this case as well.
Besides which, does anyone imagine that the spiders and evaluation
engines for bright companies like Google and Yahoo might actually think
that www.example.com and example.com have completely different content?

I can also say that, on some of these pages we built, there were forms
which emailed the surfer's responses to someone at our customer's
company. And the extraneous 301s at the top of these form pages
apparently interfered with the functionality of these pages. When the
301s were removed, we ceased to have complaints from our customer
regarding the forms.

Like I said, take it with whatever grain of salt you like. And if
someone more knowledgeable than the rest of us says otherwise, take
their word for it instead.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster