Il Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:23:35 +0200, Maciej Liżewski ha scritto:

> persistent application servers load resources only on startup (or when
> needed) and keep them in memory until programatically freed or until end
> of application (server shutdown).

You don't mention the downsides:

- every application must be structured to not overwrite session data (you
risk saving one user's data in another user's space)

- when changing even a single line in your code, you must restart
(shutdown and start up) the whole app, closing all user connections and
possibly losing all session data, forcing users to relogin.

- memory leaks are much more problematic

- you must manage threads, somehow, sometime.

Application servers have (IMHO) very little advantages (counters, and?)
and a lot of disadvantages.

All (or nearly all) the advantages of application server have been
superseded in PHP (precompiled caches, memcache, gearman, ... nodephp :)
without losing its advantages (you can change a single file in the app
and the precompiled cache auto-updates. You risk less with memory leaks,
etc.)

Yes, some things are easier in Java (threading, syncronizing, etc.) but
you can always write abstraction classes to do that for you.

I don't think I would use a PHP application server, even if it existed.

Bye.