I'm using Apache .htaccess to require certain users to log into the system
in order to view certain files. However, on one of my php scripts, it's not
within the realm of .htaccess protection. How do I determine if the user
viewing the page is an authenticated user or not? I want to present these
authenticated users with additional features while viewing the page. Do I
just check REMOTE_USER for a value? I'm not even sure if that works.

For the most part, I don't want to really care about any intensive php link
with user log in's. I like the simple approach of .htaccess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!