Hokay, my 2p...

I'm a (former) ASP programmer who just made the leap from ASP to PHP about 2
weeks ago.  A week ago I got my entire web-portal recoded to use PHP, a move
that experience tells me can't be done as quickly and easily with ASP.  All
religious arguments aside, one must admit that (1) PHP is well documented
and VBScript isn't (period); (2) PHP has many more USEFUL functions built-in
that are already debugged and working; (3) the examples one finds on
php.net, phpbuilder.net, or any other knowledge base actually WORK and are
usually pretty clear; (4) there is absolutely no question that PHP's notion
of security is truly secure, 100% in diametric opposition to IIS/ASP.  I've
tested that to destruction and am confident enough in it to release PHP as
an alternative language for my web-hosting customers.

I cannot repose the same confidence in ASP--even less confidence when Front
Page extensions are wrapped around it.  Note that I have never released ASP
as an alternative language for my customers and given its documentation and
security shortcomings, it's not likely to happen.

Mind, I've used ASP for several years and am (unfortunately) intimately
familiar with its shortcomings.  Many of the string-manipulation functions
inherent in PHP must be provided by third parties (like Vantage Point
PowerStrings http://www.vpsoft.com) in order to do some tricky URL or
input-cleaning routines.  I challenge anyone to use M$'s mail objects with
the same degree of security and reliability. Try and find real docs on
VBScript -- there aren't any with any substance.  M$'s site is useless as
are the examples they give (which, by the way, NEVER work as demonstrated).
M$ should be taking notes from php.net on how to present and maintain
documentation.

Now, if a paying customer insists that I do work for them using ASP, of
course that's what I'll use.  But I strongly advise against it now, given
the points above.  With only a couple of weeks of PHP under my belt, I'm
still confident enough in the language itself and the documentation around
it that I will be able to do any web job that comes along.  I might have to
have the manual at my side a bit longer, but as time goes on I find I refer
to it less and less.  All in all, a very natural succession of events.

Guess that was more than two cents...keep the change :-)

Bill