Jason pretty well suggested what to use.

PHP scripts with a lot of logic in them usually have all the function
definitions and logic at the top of the script and the display stuff at the
end. Again, as I'm always recommending, have a look at Julie Meloni's
Thickbook tutorials, particularly the custom error messages example.
http://www.thickbook.com

Have fun - Miles