I can't get session variables to work

I know this has been done to death in the past, but I've looked on php.net,
and google for a solution, have tried the suggestions, and seem to fix it.

My php session settings are as follows:

Name                            Local   Global settings
session.auto_start      Off     Off
session.cache_expire    180     180
session.cache_limiter   nocache nocache
session.cookie_domain   no value        no value
session.cookie_lifetime 0       0
session.cookie_path     /       /
session.entropy_file    no value        no value
session.entropy_length  0       0
session.gc_maxlifetime  1440    1440
session.gc_probability  1       1
session.name    PHPSESSID       PHPSESSID
session.referer_check   no value        no value
session.save_handler    files   files
session.save_path       /tmp    /tmp
session.serialize_handler       php     php
session.use_cookies     On      On

The code I'm using to test is as follows:

<?php
session_start();

echo "COUNT{$count}";
if (!isset($count)) {
        echo "registering session";
        session_register($count);
        $count=1;
}
else {
        $count++;
        echo $count;
}
?>

The output is as follows:

COUNTregistering session

Refreshing shows the same output

My /tmp directory exists and has the following permissions.
drwxrwxrwt   3 root     root         4096 Aug 24 10:40 tmp

What should I be looking for?